Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Getting Along with your Co-workers

Today was an absolutely crazy day at my job. What started as a silly disagreement turned into a full blow-out between my co-workers. I think it’s hard to always get along with your co-workers, because jobs combine a lot of people with varied opinions and personalities, into a very small space. However, at my job I have seen how cattiness, cliques, over-stressed and underpaid employees, is a clear path for disaster. I adore everyone I work with, but it’s easy for me, because I am only a student staff member. This job is coming to a close for me, and I only work part-time, with fewer responsibilities than a regular employee. There are bound to be disagreements anywhere you work, but I think its all in how varied situations are handled that makes the difference.

Today’s altercation did not go well initially. However, Kathleen stood up, was a bigger person, and faced the disagreement head-on. I have so much respect for her because of that. I’m sure it was not an easy thing to do, as evidenced by the fact that no one else wanted to. But she expressed her feelings, and did something incredible: she apologized. Most people hate to admit when they are wrong, and Kathleen was definitely not the only one at fault in today’s problem. But by being brave enough to do it first, it makes it easier for others to apologize and move forward from the situation. So I commend you for that Kathleen!

Now I have been thinking about some ways to avoid problems in the workplace. Here is my list of what I think helps avoid problems at work:

1. Don’t think you are the only one stressed out. Odds are if you are feeling overwhelmed, so are most of your co-workers. So take a deep breath and do your best, because that’s all you can really do. And don’t be afraid to ask for help! Odds are someone would much rather help someone who calmly asks for help, than someone who is nasty and rude.


2. Try to avoid heated topics at work, such as religion or politics. Odds are you are not going to agree with everyone you work with. It’s fine to be passionate about your beliefs, but in most circumstances, these topics are not necessary at work. Once you really know your co-workers, these topics can possibly be approached, but only if you have a mutual respect for one another and your differences.


3. There is no need for racial or gender slurs. While some might find these comments funny, chances are someone will be offended. It’s easier to filter what you say. Hopefully if you do slip up in this area, the offended will forgive you. Unfortunately, these are the type of comments that tend to stick with us when our feelings have been hurt.


4. No one needs to know every detail about your personal life. Some things your co-workers just do not want to know. Also, don’t assume that just because someone doesn’t talk about their experiences doesn’t mean they haven’t gone through some tough stuff too. Everyone has faced their own battles so try to respect everyone.


5. Your salary is your business. It’s best not to talk about how much you make, because it will only upset those who make less than you. Plus administration will probably not be thrilled that you’re sharing your salary. In fact, money discussions in general should be avoided. There is no need to brag about what you have, or complain about what you don’t.

6. Gossip and cliques accomplish nothing. I know I have blogged about this before, but again all it does is make people uncomfortable. If you have something to say, face forward is the best way to get it done.

7. Worry about yourself and your job responsibilities. Don’t waste your time tallying whose doing and not doing what. Focus on giving your best effort and you will be rewarded. And if you feel like someone is greatly not completing their duties, confront them and/or your supervisor to see what positive changes can be made.

8. Be helpful but don’t be a doormat. Everyone loves a team player, but if you do someone a favor, don’t assume they are going to do one back. Hopefully because of your kindness, they will want to help you in return, but there are no guarantees. Also, don’t allow yourself to be taken advantage of. Again, it’s great to step up and help out, but make sure it doesn’t interfere with your regular duties.

9. Kill them with kindness. You are going to face nasty people no matter where you are in life. But if you’re pleasant, there is a good chance it will rub off. And even if it doesn’t you’ll still feel like a happier person.

10. Respect, respect, respect. I can’t emphasize enough that if you respect others, they will respect you. Most people want to feel appreciated, so thank someone, or compliment them for a job well done. If you respect one another’s differences, you will be able to peacefully co-exist.

Overall, I think we can all learn something from this. I learned a lot just watching what happened at work today. Again, I am not trying to tell anybody what to do because I am guilty of plenty of the above mistakes. Hopefully we can all work on having better interactions with our co-workers, because when you think about it, you really do spend a lot of your time together.

3 comments:

Paige said...

Well, Jamie...I see you learned first-hand how caddy women can be but, you also learned some valuable lessons.

I think respect is of the utmost importnace. You make such a great point in your blog. I wish you well in your new position and I hope you get along well with your co-workers and take your own great advice!

Natalie said...

I think no matter where you go their is going to be ugly people who are gonna always start trouble and try to cut you down, unfortunately you can't change or control people's actions and the only way to deal with it is to change the way you perceive it. You made some awesome awesome points. I think its hard sometimes when people really piss you off to take a time out and really evaluate things, sometimes you can't just act of impulse, I mean if we did we all would be killing each other right?

Kathleen said...

I am so happy you learned something from the whole experience. To be honest, I actually didn't dread going to work for the first time in a while. It felt really good to just apologize, state the facts, and move forward (which is something I have been saying I do, but have sucked at in the past).

And, I love your lessons list. Everyone starting a first job should read this!!!